1. ABOUT THIS POLICY
1.1 We appreciate your interest in our products and services and your visit to this website. Your privacy is important to us and we want you to feel comfortable with how we use and share your personal information.
1.2 This policy sets out how City West Country Ltd and the companies within the group and Mercedes-Benz UK network, handle your personal information, including when and why it is collected, used and disclosed and how it is kept secure.
1.3 You will find our contact details at the end of this policy which you can use if you have any questions, including how to update or access your personal information or to make a complaint.
1.4 This policy may change, so please check this page from time to time to ensure that you’re happy with any changes. Please see further Changes to this policy in Section 11.
2. WHO WE ARE
2.1 City West Country Ltd is made up of several individual companies. For further details, including a full list of these companies, please visit About City West Country Group in Section 13. Whenever you deal with one of these companies, the ‘controller’ of your personal information will be the company in our group that you are interacting with or with whom your information has been shared. A ‘controller’ is a company that decides why and how your personal information is processed.
2.2 Where this policy refers to “we”, “our” or “us” below, unless it mentions otherwise, it’s referring to the particular company that is the controller of your personal information.
3. HOW AND WHAT PERSONAL INFORMATION WE COLLECT
- Personal information you give to us: This is information about you that you give to us by entering information via our websites or our social media pages or by corresponding with us by phone, email or otherwise and is provided entirely voluntarily. The information you give to us includes your name, contact details (such as phone number, email address and address), enquiry details and your opinion of our products.
- Personal information we collect about you: We may automatically collect the following personal information: our web servers store as standard details of your browser and operating system, the website from which you visit our website, the pages that you visit on our website, the date of your visit, and, for security reasons, e.g. to identify attacks on our website, the Internet protocol (IP) address assigned to you by your internet service. We collect some of this information using cookies – please see Cookies in Section 9.2 for further information. We may also collect any personal information which you allow to be shared that is part of your public profile on a third party social network.
- Personal information we may receive from other sources: We obtain certain personal information about you from sources outside our business which may include City West Country Ltd companies (Section 13) or other third party companies; the personal information received is as described in the two paragraphs above.
4. HOW WE USE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
- to share your personal information with our authorised dealers to arrange test drives or where you have requested a call back; to supply brochures and other material you have specifically requested from us;
- to contact you via email, text message, post or telephone with marketing information about City West Country products and services (see Marketing section below for further details);
- to share your personal information with our authorised dealers or our recommended third party partners for them to contact you with marketing information about their products and services. Please see the Marketing section below in this policy to find out more about these third parties; and
- To exchange information for warranty/aftersales;
- To allow for the provision of third party breakdown services by our breakdown provider;
- If you take 7 day free insurance cover via our insurance company (you will enter into a separate agreement for this)
- for analysis, and profiling to inform our marketing strategy, and to enhance and personalise your customer or visitor experience;
- for market research in order to continually improve the products and services that we and our authorised dealers deliver to you;
- to administer our websites and for internal operations, including troubleshooting, testing, statistical purposes;
- for marketing activities (other than where we rely on your consent) e.g. to tailor marketing communications or send targeted marketing messages via social media and other third party platforms;
- for the prevention of fraud and other criminal activities;
- to undertake credit checks for finance;
- to correspond and communicate with you;
- to create a better understanding of you as a customer or visitor;
- for network and information security in order for us to take steps to protect your information against loss or damage, theft or unauthorised access;
- to comply with a request from you in connection with the exercise of your rights (for example where you have asked us not to contact you for marketing purposes, we will keep a record of this on our suppression lists in order to be able to comply with your request);
- for the purposes of corporate restructure or reorganisation or sale of our business or assets;
- for efficiency, accuracy or other improvements of our databases and systems e.g. by combining systems or consolidating records we or our group companies hold about you;to
- or protect our contractual or other legal rights or to bring or defend legal proceedings; andfor
- general administration including managing your queries, complaints, or claims, and to send service messages to you.
5. OTHERS WHO MAY RECEIVE OR HAVE ACCESS TO YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION
6. WHERE WE STORE YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION OUTSIDE THE EEA
7. HOW LONG WE KEEP YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION FOR
- the law requires us to hold your personal information for a longer period, or delete it sooner;
- you exercise your right to have the information erased (where it applies) and we do not need to hold it in connection with any of the reasons permitted in this section 7, or because we are required under the law (see further Erasing your personal information or restricting its processing in Section 8.6);
- and in limited cases, the law permits us to keep your personal information indefinitely provided we put certain protections in place.
8. YOUR RIGHTS
8.1 Your ‘data subject’ rights:
You have a number of rights in relation to your personal information under data protection law. In relation to certain rights, we may ask you for information to confirm your identity and, where applicable, to help us to search for your personal information. Except in rare cases, we will respond to you within 30 days after we have received this information or, where no such information is required, after we have received your request.
8.2 Accessing your personal information
You have the right to ask for a copy of the information that we hold about you by emailing or writing to us at the address at the end of this policy. We may not provide you with a copy of your personal information if this concerns other individuals or we have another lawful reason to withhold that information.
8.3 Correcting and updating your personal information
The accuracy of your information is important to us and we are working on ways to make it easier for you to review and correct the information that we hold about you.
In the meantime, if you change your name or address/email address, or you discover that any of the other information we hold is inaccurate or out of date, please let us know by contacting us in any of the details described at the end of this policy.
8.4 Withdrawing your consent
Where we rely on your consent as the legal basis for processing your personal information, as set out under How we use your personal information in Section 4, you may withdraw your consent at any time by contacting us using the details at the end of this policy. If you would like to withdraw your consent to receiving any direct marketing to which you previously opted-in, you can also do so using our unsubscribe tool. If you withdraw your consent, our use of your personal information before you withdraw is still lawful.
8.5 Objecting to our use of your personal information and automated decisions made about you.
Where we rely on our legitimate business interests as the legal basis for processing your personal information for any purpose(s), as out under How we use your personal information in Section 4, you may object to us using your personal information for these purposes by emailing or writing to us at the address at the end of this policy. Except for the purposes for which we are sure we can continue to process your personal information, we will temporarily stop processing your personal information in line with your objection until we have investigated the matter. If we agree that your objection is justified in accordance with your rights under data protection laws, we will permanently stop using your data for those purposes. Otherwise we will provide you with our justification as to why we need to continue using your data.
You may object to us using your personal information for direct marketing purposes and we will automatically comply with your request. If you would like to do so, please use our unsubscribe tool.
You may also contest a decision made about you based on automated processing by contacting the data protection department.
8.6 Erasing your personal information or restricting its processing
In certain circumstances, you may ask for your personal information to be removed from our systems by emailing or writing to us at the address at the end of this policy. Unless there is a reason that the law allows us to use your personal information for longer, we will make reasonable efforts to comply with your request.
You may also ask us to restrict processing your personal information in the following situations:
- where you believe it is unlawful for us to do so,
- you have objected to its use and our investigation is pending or you require us to keep it in connection with legal proceedings.
In these situations, we may only process your personal information whilst its processing is restricted if we have your consent or are legally permitted to do so, for example for storage purposes, to protect the rights of another individual or company or in connection with legal proceedings.
8.7 Transferring your personal information in a structured data file
Where we rely on your consent as the legal basis for processing your personal information or need to process it in connection with your contract, as set out under Section 4 How we use your personal information, you may ask us to provide you with a copy of that information in a structured data file. We will provide this to you electronically in a structured, commonly used and machine readable form, such as a CSV file.
You can ask us to send your personal information directly to another service provider, and we will do so if this is technically possible. We may not provide you with a copy of your personal information if this concerns other individuals or we have another lawful reason to withhold that information.
8.8 Complaining to the UK data protection regulator
You have the right to complain to the Information Commissioners Office (ICO) if you are concerned about the way we have processed your personal information. Please visit the ICO’s website for further details.
9. SECURITY / COOKIES / LINKS / SOCIAL PLUGINS
9.1 Security measures we put in place to protect your personal information
All companies within the City West Country Ltd group use technical and organisational security measures to protect the personal information supplied by you and managed by us against manipulation, loss, destruction, and access by third parties. Our security measures are continually improved in line with technological developments.
Unfortunately, the transmission of information via the internet is not completely secure. Although we will do our best to protect your personal information, we cannot guarantee the security of your information whilst in transit to our website and any transmission is at your own risk.
Where we have given (or where you have chosen) a password which enables you to access an account, you are responsible for keeping this password confidential. We ask you not to share your password with anyone.
9.2 Use of ‘cookies’
‘Cookies’ are small pieces of information sent to your device and stored on its hard drive to allow our websites to recognise you when
you visit. We use ‘Cookies’ on our website for Analytical and Marketing purposes such as auto-filling data, to improve and personalise your experience when using our website. The ‘Cookie’ data we collect is used alongside services selected partners such as Google and Hubspot. In addition, we share the data collected on the website with other CWC companies so we can tailor your
experience as much as possible when you visit any of our group websites.
9.3 Links to other websites
In addition, if you linked to our website from a third party website, we cannot be responsible for the privacy policies and practices of the owners and operators of that third party website and recommend that you check the policy of that third party website.
9.4 Social plugins
We use so-called social plugins (buttons) of social networks such as Meta and LinkedIn
After their activation, a direct link to the server of the respective social network is established. The contents of the button are then transmitted from the social network directly to your browser and incorporated in the website.
After activation of a button, the social network can retrieve data, independently of whether you interact with the button or not. If you are logged on to a social network, the network can assign your visit to the website to your user account. A social network cannot assign a visit to websites operated by our other group companies unless and until you activate the respective button there as well.
If you are a member of a social network and do not wish it to combine data retrieved from your visit to our websites with your membership data, you must log out from the social network concerned before activating the buttons.
We have no influence on the scope of data that is collected by the social networks through their buttons. The data use policies of the social networks provide information on the purpose and extent of the data that they collect, how this data is processed and used, the rights available to you and the settings that you can use to protect your privacy.
10.1 We may collect your preferences to send you marketing information directly from us by email/SMS (where applicable) including:
- if you register an account with us online;
- or if you book a test drive or request a call back.
We will only do so if you have consented to receiving such marketing information directly from us.
10.2 We may contact you with targeted advertising delivered online through social media and platforms (operated by other companies) by using your personal information, or use your personal information to tailor marketing to improve its relevance to you, unless you object.
10.3 We will only share your personal information with recommended third parties for them to contact you with marketing information about their products and services where you have indicated that you would like us to do so.
Please use the link on the page requesting your consent to find out more about these third parties.
If you’d like to opt-out of receiving marketing from a third party after providing your consent, you can do so at any time by contacting the relevant third party directly.
10.4 If you opt-in to receiving marketing from our recommended third parties, you will receive marketing from the third parties listed in the table below via your preferred communication methods indicated by you.
10.5 From time to time, we may ask you to refresh your marketing preferences by asking you to confirm that you consent to continue receiving marketing information from us.
10.6 You have the right to opt-out of our use of your personal information to provide marketing to you in any of the ways mentioned above.
Please see Withdrawing your Consent in Section 8.4 and Objecting to our use of your personal information and automated decisions made about you in Section 8.5 above for further details on how you can do this.
11. CHANGES TO THIS POLICY
12. CONTACT US
Marketing Preferences, Marketing Department, Mercedes-Benz South West, Matford Park Road, Exeter, EX2 8FD
Email: firstname.lastname@example.org / DPO@citywestcountry.co.uk
Telephone: 01392 822700
13. ABOUT City West Country Ltd
The companies included within the City West Country Ltd group are:
- City West Country Ltd. t/a Mercedes-Benz South West Online
- City West Country Ltd. t/a Mercedes-Benz South West and t/a smart South West
- City West Country Ltd. t/a Mercedes-Benz of Exeter and t/a smart of Exeter
- City West Country Ltd. t/a Mercedes-Benz of Plymouth and t/a smart of Plymouth
- City West Country Ltd. t/a Mercedes-Benz of Taunton and t/a smart of Taunton
- City West Country Ltd. t/a Mercedes-Benz of Truro and t/a smart of Truro
- ORA South West Limited and t/a GWM ORA South West
- City West Country Ltd. t/a BYD South West
- City West Country Ltd. t/a City West Country Vans
- City West Country Ltd. t/a CWC VIP
- City West Country Ltd. t/a Tangelo
Last updated: 04 January 2024